From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: January 25 – January 29, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Karl A. Barta, Stacie J. Chapman, Patricia D. Redfern, David V. Stice, Travis P. Veatch and Jason S. Wright – 16CR0147 (Criminal Syndication, Engaging in Organized Crime [All]; Aggravated Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule I Heroin One Hundred Grams or More [All]; Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule II Methamphetamine Two Grams or More [Barta, Chapman, Stice, Veatch and Wright]; Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule I Heroin Two Grams or More [Stice and Veatch]; Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule I Heroin Less Than Two Grams [Stice and Veatch]; Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule II Oxymorphone Less Than Ten Dosage Units [Stice and Veatch]; Illegal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule I Heroin Less Than Two Grams [Barta and Wright]; Tampering with Physical Evidence [Barta, Chapman and Wright] and Illegal Use or Possession of Drug Paraphernalia [Barta, Stice, Veatch and Wright]).
- The defendants Barta (DOB 7/24/81), Chapman (DOB 12/12/84), Redfern (DOB 1/18/66), Stice (DOB 7/24/85), Veatch (DOB 9/16/74) and Wright (DOB 5/27/79) are charged with selling and providing large amounts of heroin and methamphetamine in the community, evidence of which was discovered during the execution of two separate search warrants of residences of the defendants. In addition to possessing and selling large amounts of controlled substances , the defendant possessed drug paraphernalia and other items. The defendants are scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, January 25, 2016 at 1:30 p.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Andrew Beckman is the prosecutor.
Ian Matthew Cary – 16CR0149 (Robbery in the First Degree, Assault in the Third Degree [Police/Probation Officer] and Resisting Arrest).
- Mr. Cary (4/6/78) is charged with robbing the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market locatedat5360 Dixie Highway on January 17, 2016 and with assaulting off-duty LMPD police officer Russell Miller who stepped in to arrest him as he fled the store. The defendant is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, January 25, 2016 at 20:30 p.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Quincinio Canada and Dawan Mulazim – 14CR2064/15CR2029 (Robbery in the First Degree [two counts], Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Persistent Felony Offender I [all charges apply to both defendants])
- Mr. Canada (DOB 3/4/92) and Mr. Mulazim (8/14/83) are charged with robbing a Circle K employee and the man buffing the floors after-hours at the Circle K at 1000 Portland Avenue on July 25, 2014. Officer Ed Johnson was at the intersection of Portland Avenue and 22nd Street, and was able to follow the get-away vehicle, in which the defendants fled from Officer Johnson into Indiana where they were apprehended. The two defendants have also been charged with a series of robberies in Lexington, one of which resulted in a murder, all currently pending in Fayette County Circuit Court, and which took place in the weeks leading up to their apprehension on this Jefferson County case. A final pretrial conference is scheduled for January 25th at 9:30 a.m. in Division 13 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
John McLeaney – 15CR3211 (2 counts of Robbery in the First Degree, Kidnapping, Burglary in the First Degree, Impersonating a Peace Officer, Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree, Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process, Tampering With Physical Evidence, and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree)
- Mr. McLeaney (DOB 10/11/69) has been indicted for offenses occurring on November9, 2015, and November 28, 2015. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 26, 2016 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Kalief A. Cummings- 15CR2303 (Assault in the First Degree [Two Counts])
- Mr. Cummings (DOB 12/11/69) is charged with stabbing two sisters who were in town for a bachelorette party. The incident occurred on August 23, 2015, near Second and Liberty Streets. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 29th at 9:30 in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Andrew Z. McAllister, Austin S. Priddy, and Carmon A. Tussey – 15CR2042 (Complicity to Murder [All], Complicity to Robbery in the First Degree [All], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Priddy only] and Tampering With Physical Evidence [Priddy and Tussey])
- Mr. McAllister (DOB 04/27/95), Mr. Priddy (DOB 11-07-95) and Mr. Tussey (DOB 02/08/96) are charged in connection with the July 16, 2015 killing of Mr. Miguel Macias at the Mall Gate Apartments in St. Matthews. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, January 29, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. in Division One of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive and Shelley Alvey are the prosecutors.
Myliek First – 14CR0515 (Murder, Assault I, Robbery I, TWPE)
- Mr. First (DOB 9/19/96) is charged in connection with the October 3, 2013 killing of Tony Grady and the assault of Lashayna James. A suppression hearing is scheduled for Thursday, January 28, 2016, at 9:30 a.m in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive and Jeff Cooke are the assigned prosecutors.
Quinn Chandler- 14CR2937 (Murder I, Robbery I, Burglary I [Complicity])
- Mr. Chandler (DOB 7/7/92) is charged with strangling Carey Bush to death in his home, then stealing his cell phone and vehicle before fleeing the scene along with an un-identified accomplice. The offense occurred November 5, 2013. A jury trial is ongoing; closing arguments are expected Monday, January 25th at 9:30 in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.