From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: March 21-March 25, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
William Truss- 12CR1417 (Murder [Two Counts])
- Mr. Truss (DOB 6/14/68) was tried in connection with an April 29, 2012 shooting. The initial responding officer located a silver 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis; which is registered to the defendant, running, with the head lights. As the officer drove near the vehicle, he noticed a bullet hole in the rear window. The officer checked and found that two victims (one in the driver’s seat and one in the rear passenger side seat) had been shot. A was handgun laying in the front passenger’s seat near the armrest. Both victims were deceased. A Jefferson County jury found Truss guilty on both counts of Murder and recommended a sentence of Life without the possibility of parole for 25 years on each count. Sentencing is scheduled for May 23, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Frank Dahl and Ebert Haegele are the prosecutors.
Jerard Garrett & Billy Richardson- 13CR0744 (Murder [Both], Robbery in the First Degree [Both])
- Mr. Garrett (9/24/81) and Mr. Richardson (DOB 9/13/89) are charged with the December 23, 2012, shooting death of Kenneth Forbes, Jr., in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Beverage World located at 4048 Dixie Highway.
Jerard Garrett & Billy Richardson- 13CR0246 (Murder [Both], Robbery in the First Degree [Both]; Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Garrett Only], Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree [Garrett Only])
- Mr. Garrett (9/24/81) and Mr. Richardson (DOB 9/13/89) are charged with the murder and robbery of Jaime Young on December 29, 2012.
Following a two-week jury trial which resulted in Garrett being found guilty on all counts charged and Richardson being found guilty of Manslaughter in the Second Degree and Robbery in the First Degree as to the shooting death and robbery of Jaime Young. Following the jury verdict Garrett agreed to accept a penalty of life without the possibility of parole for 25 years and Richardson agreed to accept a penalty of 20 years. Note: These two cases had been consolidated and were tried together. Nick Mudd and Jim Lesousky were the prosecutors.
Matthew C. Conway – 16CR0070 (Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Assault in the Fourth Degree [Domestic/Minor Injury).
- Mr. Conway (DOB 10/24/75) is charged in relation to an assault on his wife alleged to have occurred on January 6, 2016. Conway is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, March 21, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. David Williams, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the 46th Judicial Circuit (comprising Breckinridge, Grayson and Meade Counties), has been appointed as special prosecutor on this case.
Larry Felton, Andrel Page, and James Watts – 16CR0703 Robbery I (all), Assault I (Page)
- Mr. Felton (DOB 11/4/92), Mr. Page (DOB 9/20/94), and Mr. Watts (DOB 11/4/75) are charged in connection with the February 7, 2016, robbery and shooting of Zachary Blakley over a lottery ticket after Mr. Blakley exited the Marathon at 3400 Taylor Boulevard. The defendants were indicted on Thursday, March 17, 2016 and were arraigned on Friday, March 18, 2016. A pretrial conference has been scheduled for April 26, 2016 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Christopher L. McCullum – 15CR0968 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. McCullum (DOB 2/21/72) is charged in connection with the February 21, 2015, shooting death of Mukhtar Ahmad on I-71. A pre-trial conference is scheduled on Tuesday, March 22, 2016, at 10:00 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Brandon A. Washington and Canon Harper – 15CR2253 (Criminal Attempt Murder [Two Counts], Complicity to Assault in the First Degree [two counts] Complicity to Robbery in the First Degree, Complicity to Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [Washington Only], and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Washington (DOB 5/15/95) and Mr. Harper (DOB 10/15/95) are charged in connection with a robbery and shooting incident that occurred on May 23, 2015, at a residence located at 1922 Portland Avenue. As a result of the shooting, one of the victims has been restricted to the use of a wheelchair and the other suffered a significant leg injury. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Wednesday, March 23, 2016, at 9:15 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court.
George T. Slaughter, 16CR0409 (Murder (3 counts); Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon; Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Slaughter, (DOB 10/16/1989) is charged in the February 13, 2016 shooting deaths of Douglas Weber, Elizabeth Draper, and William Neal at 4222 Wheeler Avenue. A Pretrial Conference is scheduled to take place Friday, March 25, 2016, at 9:15 a.m. in Division 1 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Erin McKenzie is the prosecutor.