From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: January 23, 2017 – January 27, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Christopher Wayne Simpson – 17CR0173 (Sodomy in the Third Degree [Two Counts], Sexual Abuse in the First Degree[Three Counts])
- Mr. Simpson (DOB 06/08/82) is charged with sodomizing and inappropriately touching a 14-year-old victim. In a controlled phone call, Mr. Simpson did not deny the acts of sodomy and touching and stated that he loves the victim. Mr. Simpson is scheduled to be arraigned on these charges on Monday, January 23, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Kelley Rae Pierce – 17CR0158 (Failure to Stop and Render Aid)
- Ms. Pierce (DOB 10/31/63) has been indicted for one count of Failure to Stop and Render Aid for an incident that occurred on November 21, 2016 in which a child was struck in the 4000 block of Taylor Boulevard. Arraignment is scheduled for Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Sydney R. Cundiff – 17CR0152 (Assault in the First Degree, Criminal Abuse in the First Degree)
- Ms. Cundiff (DOB 05/25/94), an employee of YMCA Southwest Daycare, is charged with Assault and Criminal Abuse after admitting to causing injuries to a five-month-old victim while in her care at the daycare. On September 22, 2016, the victim was taken to Kosair Children’s Hospital after having a seizure at the daycare. The victim was diagnosed with a brain injury, subdural hematoma, and bruising to the legs, all of which will require surgery. Ms. Cundiff is scheduled to be arraigned on these charges on Monday, January 23, 2017 at 11:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Melvin Javier Rivera- 17CR0148 (Robbery First [Four Counts])
- Mr. Rivera (DOB 03/20/1991) is charged with armed robbery of four business in Jefferson Co., between the dates of December 28, 2016 and January 5, 2017. Mr. Rivera is scheduled for arraignment Monday, January 23, 2017 at 3:00 pm in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Joshua F. Waldrop is the prosecutor.
Mario Medina – 17CR0149 (Rape in the First Degree [Two Counts])
- Mr. Medina (DOB 06/19/76) is charged with the rape of his girlfriend’s nine year old daughter. Mr. Medina’s girlfriend walked in on the rape on January 6, 2017 and the victim then reported a previous incident. The defendant is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, January 23, 2017 at 3:30 p.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Brian Boswell- 16CR2812 (Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the Second Degree, Robbery in the Second Degree, Theft by Unlawful Taking over $10,000 [Three Counts], Illegal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree [Heroin])
- Mr. Boswell (DOB 12/12/1982) is charged with holding a man at knifepoint and stealing his vehicle. The incident occurred on October 10, 2016, at Suburban Hospital. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 23, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Maurice L. Deal and Norman Deal – 15CR2748 and 16CR0024 (Murder)
- Mr. Maurice Deal (DOB 07/06/64) and his brother, Mr. Norman Deal (DOB 07/28/53), are charged with the shooting death on Mr. Joseph Otis on October 6, 2015. The shooting occurred in the parking lot of Club Cedar night club, located at 416 South 26th Street. The shooting appeared to be a premeditated and planned attack. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 27, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Frank Dahl is the prosecutor.
Brandon Oldham and Juan Lloyd – 15CR1647 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree)
- Mr. Oldham (DOB 01/13/87) and Mr. Lloyd (DOB 01/18/85) are charged with the murder of Mr. Eddie Vinson. On June 7, 2015, Mr. Oldham pushed and dragged the victim on the street and sidewalk near 2426 Elliot Avenue while Mr. Lloyd hit the victim with an iron lawn chair. The defendants removed Mr. Vinson’s shoes and pants, doused him with lighter fluid, and ignited him on fire. Mr. Vinson was still alive while set on fire. Defendants then left Mr. Vinson to burn. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 25, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Richard Elder is the prosecutor.
Charles Washington III – 13CR2250 (Murder[Capital], Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Washington (DOB 03/02/93), along with his three co-defendants, is charged with the shooting death of Mr. P.J. Barber. On August 12, 2013, the defendants entered the victim’s residence at 6800 Crawford Crossing Plaza, armed with guns and demanding drugs, money, and phones. The residence was occupied by four other individuals including Mr. Barber’s nine day old child. Mr. Barber was assaulted and killed by the defendants amidst the burglary. A suppression hearing is scheduled for January 27, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Frank Dahl is the prosecutor.
Samuel Lee Barrett – 16CR0485 (Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [Four Counts], Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual Activities, Distribution of Obscene Manner to Minors)
- Mr. Barnett (DOB 10/16/88), a former teacher at Fern Creek High School, was charged as a result of an inappropriate relationship with a juvenile student. The relationship included sexual touching, kissing, and exchange of obscene manner including nude photos. Touching and kissing occurred both in Mr. Barnett’s classroom at the high school, and in his car in a public parking lot. Obscene photos were exchanged between the two via text messaging and social media. Mr. Barnett pled guilty to these charges on December 5, 2016 and will be finally sentenced on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 1:15 p.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Marcus Chapman – 11CR2604 (Criminal Attempt Murder [2 counts], Assault in the First Degree, Assault in the Second Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Chapman (DOB 05/30/90) is charged with stabbing two juveniles in August of 2011. A trial is ongoing in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryane Conroy is the prosecutor.
Kalief A. Cummings – 15CR2303, 16CR0367 (Assault in the First Degree [Two Counts], Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Cummings (DOB 12/11/69) is charged with stabbing two sisters who were visiting Louisville for a bachelorette party. The incident occurred on August 23, 2015, near Fourth and Liberty Streets. A trial is tentatively set to begin January 24, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Christopher Moore – 15CR3110 (Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Operating a Motor Vehicle on a Suspended License, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Moore (DOB 02/19/81) was stopped by police on August 19, 2015 while operating a vehicle that had been reported stolen. The defendant told officers that someone had given him the car a few days prior. At the time of the stop, Mr. Moore’s driver’s license had been suspended. He is a Persistent Felony Offender. A trial is scheduled to begin on January 24, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. John Balliet is the prosecutor.