From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: March 27, 2017 – March 31, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Dale Thomas Hammond – 15CR2596 (Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual or Other Prohibited Activities)
- Mr. Hammond (DOB 05/21/55), was charged with one count of Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual or Other Prohibited Activities. On July 24, 2015, Mr. Hammond responded to a fictitious Craigslist ad that was placed online by an undercover investigator with the Office of the Attorney General. The Defendant began communicating with the investigator, who he believed to be a 15 year old girl in Louisville. Mr. Hammond sent several sexually explicit text messages, and he requested to meet the undercover investigator for the purpose of sexual contact. He was observed travelling from his workplace to the meet location, where he was arrested. The Defendant was found guilty by a Jury on March 23, 2017. The jury recommended a sentence of one year in prison. The Defendant will also have to complete the Sex Offender Treatment Program and register on the Sex Offender Registry for a period of twenty years. Final sentencing is scheduled for May 31, 2017 at 9:30 am in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Adrienne Henderson and Danielle Yannelli were the prosecutors.
Robert A. Taylor – 15CR2649 (Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree While in Possession of a Firearm – Subsequent Offender [3 counts—Heroin, Methamphetamine, and Oxycodone], Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the Second Degree While in Possession of a Firearm – Subsequent Offender [Suboxone], Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the Third Degree While in Possession of a Firearm – Subsequent Offender [Alprazolam], Possession of a Handgun By A Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Taylor (DOB 05/22/81) was found guilty of all the above charges by a Jury on March 22, 2017. The charges stemmed from a violent crime investigation wherein Defendant was found to be Trafficking in Heroin, Meth, Oxycodone, Suboxone, and Alprazolam. Defendant was also in possession of two firearms during the course of his criminal acts. The jury recommended a sentence of 50 years. His sentencing is scheduled for May 26, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey and Nathan Batey were the prosecutors.
Joshua Lewis Young– 16CR1338 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Young (DOB 02/08/1995) is charged in connection with the May 16, 2016, shooting death of his landlord, Shane McCain, at 2326 Griffiths Avenue. A pre-trial conference is scheduled on Wednesday, March 29, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive and Joshua Waldrop are the prosecutors.
Tristan Jewell and Devonta Anderson – 17CR0503 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree)
- Mr. Jewell (DOB 11/06/95) and Mr. Anderson (DOB 10/04/93) are charged with the February 14, 2017 shooting death of Mr. Joshua Evans. Mr. Evans and another victim were walking home in the 1500 block of Longview Avenue when defendants opened fire, killing Mr. Evans but missing another. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, March 31, 2017 at 9:15 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Jeffrey Wayne Sykes – 15CR2992 (Robbery in the First Degree, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Sykes (DOB 02/09/90) is charged with robbing a teller at the Fifth Third Bank at 401 S. 4th Street (next to Fourth Street Live) on November 5, 2015. He was apprehended next door in the Hyatt parking garage. A trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday, March 28, 2017 after the morning docket in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.