From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: October 30, 2017 – November 3, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Robert Lee Ray, Jr. 17CR3195 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree, Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Ray (DOB 06/28/78) is charged in connection with causing the death of Claudia Higdon, one of the victims of the defendant’s string of multiple robberies that began on June 12, 2017 and continued until his arrest on June 17, 2017. The robbery of Ms. Higdon and the burglary of her home occurred on June 13, 2017. Ms. Higdon died on July 20, 2017. Her death has been attributed to the stress that the robbery event caused on her heart. Arraignment for the defendant is scheduled for Monday, October 30, 2017, at 2:00 p.m. in Division Ten of the Jefferson Circuit Court. A pretrial conference for the pending case involving all of the armed robberies, 17CR1824, is scheduled for Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 5. Stacy Greive and Ryan Olberding are the assigned prosecutors.
Yanisleidys Perez Carvajal, Leisy Martinez Garcia, Jorge Berrio Veitia, Geiler Aguila and Gabriel Ortega Chaviano – 17CR3146 (Criminal Syndication: Engaging in Organized Crime, Trafficking in Financial Information, Receiving Goods Obtained by Fraud over $10,000, Falsely Making/Embossing Credit/Debit Card, Use of Scan Device to Access/Transfer Information from Credit Card, Possession of a Forgery Device and Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Aguila (DOB 05/02/91), Mr. Carvajal (DOB 10/23/84), Mr. Chaviano (DOB 07/28/73), Mr. Garcia (DOB 12/05/89) and Mr. Veitia (DOB 08/23/89) are charged as the result of an extensive credit card skimming investigation conducted by detectives from the Louisville Metro Division of Police. Arraignment is scheduled for Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jeff Cooke is the prosecutor.
William Riggle Jr. and William Riggle Sr. – 17CR2836 (13 counts of Sodomy in the First Degree [13 Counts – Riggle Jr.] [4 Counts – Riggle Sr.], Rape in the First Degree [2 Counts – Riggle Jr.], Unlawful Transaction with a Minor [Riggle Jr.], Use of a Minor in a Sexual Performance [2 Counts – Riggle Jr.], Criminal Attempt Sodomy in the First Degree [Riggle Jr.], Criminal Attempt Rape in the First Degree [Riggle Jr.], Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [33 Counts – Riggle Jr.] [9 Counts – Riggle Sr.], Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process [3 Counts – both], Distribution of Obscene Matter to Minors [2 Counts – Riggle Jr.], Criminal Attempt Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [Riggle Jr.])
- William Riggle Jr. (DOB 03/14/93) and William Riggle Sr. (DOB 12/21/72) are charged with engaging in sexual abuse with three minor victims all under the age of 13 years old over a span of several years. William Riggle Sr. is the three minor victim’s uncle and at the time of the abuse had custody of the three victim’s. The first Pretrial Conference is scheduled for November 2, 2017 at 9:15 am in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Danielle Yannelli is the prosecutor.
Quennel Young – 16CR2219 (Murder, Criminal Attempt Murder, Retaliating Against a Participant in the Legal Process)
- Mr. Young (DOB 10/31/90) is charged with the August 5, 2016 Murder of Zachary Napper and the attempted murder of another victim. A pretrial conference is scheduled for November 2, 2017 at 9:15 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Dawan Mulazim – 14CR2064 (Robbery in the First Degree [2 Counts], Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Mulazim (DOB 08/14/83) and his co-defendant Quincinio Canada pleaded guilty to robbing a Circle K employee and the man buffing the floors after-hours at the Circle K at 1000 Portland Avenue on July 25, 2014. Officer Ed Johnson was at the intersection of Portland Avenue and 22nd Street, and was able to follow the get-away vehicle, in which the defendants fled from Officer Johnson into Indiana where they were apprehended. The two defendants have also been charged with a series of robberies in Lexington, one of which resulted in a murder, all currently pending in Fayette County Circuit Court, and which took place in the weeks leading up to their apprehension on this Jefferson County case. Mr. Canada was sentenced to twenty years in prison, the same sentence contemplated by Mr. Mulazim’s plea. However, Mr. Mulazim has filed a motion to set aside his plea. A hearing on this motion is scheduled for October 30, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Kevin Bower and Bobby Walker – 16CR0836 (Murder, Attempted Murder)
- Mr. Bower (DOB 11/08/95) and Mr. Walker (DOB 07/09/95) are indicted in connection with the March 15, 2016, shooting death of Lamonte Harris and of firing shots at Montez Hathaway in an attempt to kill him as well. The incident occurred on a tumultuous evening near G.G. Moore Park. Trial is scheduled for Tuesday, October 31st at 9:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Critt Cunningham and Mark Baker are the prosecutors.
Tyler Morgan – 16CR1471 (Kidnapping [4 Counts], Robbery in the First Degree [4 Counts], Wanton Endangerment I [4 Counts], Escape in the Second Degree, Failure to Stop and Render Aid, Criminal Mischief)
- Mr. Morgan (DOB 09/16/97) is charged with the July 16, 2015, carjacking of a vehicle containing a woman and her three young children while her husband had run into the gas station at Lexington Avenue and Grinstead Drive. The vehicle collided with other vehicles and a rock wall before coming to a stop on I-64. A trial is scheduled to begin October 31, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Ronald Wesley – 16CR3161 (Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Wesley (DOB 09/30/75), is charged as a result of a traffic stop on September 3, 2016. Officers conducted a routine traffic stop after observing the defendant’s vehicle speeding. When officers approached the defendant’s vehicle, they observed the strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle and noted that the defendant appeared to be smoking a marijuana cigar. Upon a consent search, officers located a silver .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol which was loaded with nine (9) rounds in the center console. Officers further noted that the handgun was defaced, with the serial number scratched off. A trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Doug Meisel and Jessica Kingsley are the prosecutors.