From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: November 6, 2017 – November 10, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
In honor of our Veterans, Jefferson Circuit Court will be closed on Friday, November 10, 2017 in recognition of Veteran’s Day.
Ricky Lewis Kelly – 14CR2146 (Murder)
- Mr. Kelly (DOB 11/18/70) is charged with killing Mr. Lajuante Jackson in August of 2005. Hearings on the defendant’s motion to exclude the death penalty due to intellectual disability were conducted over the course of the past several months. On October 31, 2017, by written order, the Court denied the defendant’s motion. The trial continues to be scheduled for December 1 in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Justin Janes are the prosecutors.
Tyler Morgan – 16CR1471 (Kidnapping [4 Counts], Robbery in the First Degree [4 Counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [4 Counts], Failure to Stop and Render Aid, Criminal Mischief)
- On November 2, 2017 a jury found Mr. Morgan (DOB 09/16/97) guilty of the July 16, 2015, carjacking of a vehicle containing a woman and her three young children while her husband had run into the gas station at Lexington Avenue and Grinstead Drive. The vehicle collided with other vehicles and a rock wall before coming to a stop on I-64. The recommended penalty is 13 years. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Mark Baker are the prosecutors.
John McLeaney – 15CR3211 (Robbery in the First Degree [2 Counts], Kidnapping, Burglary in the First Degree, Impersonating a Peace Officer, Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree, Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process, Tampering With Physical Evidence, and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree)
- Mr. McLeaney (DOB 10/11/69) has been indicted for offenses occurring on November 9, 2015, and November 28, 2015. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Percy Phillips – 09CR3016 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree)
- Mr. Phillips (DOB 08/01/64) is charged the 1993 Robbery of a Chevron gas station located at 3333 Newburg Road and the Murder of store clerk, Brenda Whitfield. Mr. Phillips was charged in 2009 after an eye witness came forward over a decade later. A final pretrial conference is scheduled for Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 1 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey is the prosecutor.
Antonio D. Mitchell, Vontre T. Murphy, and Dajohn M. Roberts – 17CR1650 (Robbery in the First Degree [5 Counts Murphy and Roberts] [4 Counts Mitchell])
- Mr. Mitchell (DOB 03/29/96), Mr. Murphy (DOB 03/18/97), and Mr. Roberts (DOB 08/04/96) are charged in connection to a string of robberies occurring between May 18, 2017 and May 29, 2017. A pretrial conference is scheduled for November 8, 2017 at 2:15 p.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Terrance Moore and Kentrey Moore – 16CR0873 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree [2 Counts])
- Mr. Terrance Moore (DOB 05/18/97) and Mr. Kentry Moore (DOB 05/06/95) are charged with the March 27, 2016 Murder of Tyrone Booker. Mr. Booker and another individual were robbed by the defendants amid a narcotics transaction. When the victim attempted to run from defendants, they shot and killed him. A suppression hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 1:30 p.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey is the prosecutor.
Ja’lyn Wells – 16CR1543 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Tampering With Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Wells (DOB 02/27/97) entered a plea on September 19, 2017 to Murder, Robbery in the First Degree and Tampering with Physical Evidence. The Defendant admitted to shooting Ryan Higdon on May 29, 2016 at Riverview Park. Final sentencing is scheduled for Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.