From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: September 17 – 21, 2018
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Robert Lee Ray, Jr. – 17CR1824/17CR3195 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree, Robbery in the First Degree (17 Counts), Burglary in the First Degree (3 Counts), Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Theft and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Ray (DOB 06/28/78) was charged in connection with causing the death of Claudia Higdon, one of the victims of the defendant’s string of multiple robberies that began on June 12, 2017 and continued until his arrest on June 17, 2017. The robbery of Ms. Higdon and the burglary of her home occurred on June 13, 2017. Ms. Higdon died on July 20, 2017. Her death was attributed to stress-induced Takotsubo cardiomyopathy sustained as a result of the robbery. In total eighteen people were victimized by Defendant Ray in this violent crime spree. On September 12, 2018, Defendant Ray pled guilty to Manslaughter In the Second Degree, seventeen (17) counts of Robbery In the First Degree, three (3) counts of Burglary In the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment In the First Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police In the First Degree, Criminal Mischief In the First Degree, Theft and Persistent Felony Offender In the First Degree. Defendant Ray was sentenced to serve twenty (20) years in prison. He will not be eligible for parole until he serves seventeen (17) years of this prison sentence. Stacy Greive and Ryan Olberding are the assigned prosecutors.
Demond Malone – 18CR2650 (Facilitation to Murder, Facilitation to Robbery in the First Degree, Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Malone (DOB 04/06/02) is charged in connection with the robbery and murder of Jason Spencer on November 5, 2017 in the 1200 block of Everett Avenue. The defendant was 15 years old at the time of the incident. Two of his co-defendants, Travon Curry and Thaddius Thomas, have already been indicted and are currently pending in case number 18CR0059. Arraignment is scheduled for September 17, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 1 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Javontay Forrest – 18CR2649 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Forrest (DOB 01/08/02) is charged with the murder of Travon Yelder on July 31, 2018. The defendant, who is 16 years old, was reported to be irresponsibly handling a gun throughout the night. At the time of the incident, the victim was seated in front of the defendant playing a video game. The defendant pointed the handgun at the victim’s head and shot. Arraignment is scheduled for September 17, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Taylor Cole Satterly – 18CR2235 (Failure to Stop and Render Aid, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Satterly (DOB 01/23/90) is charged in relation to a fatal collision where Ms. Jadylynn Myers was struck by a vehicle. Mr. Satterly is believed to have left the scene of the accident where Ms. Myers was struck. A pretrial conference is scheduled for September 18, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Shawn P. Murphy – 17CR3561 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree, Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Failure to Stop and Render Aid, Illegal Use or Possession of Drug Paraphernalia)
- Mr. Murphy (DOB 03/17/72) was involved in a fatal accident on November 19, 2017 when he ran a red light at the intersection of Floyd St. and Central Ave., striking the passenger side of a vehicle. The front passenger died as a result of the crash and the driver sustained life threatening injuries. Mr. Murphy fled the scene on foot but was later located and admitted to driving the vehicle at the time of the collision. A pretrial conference is scheduled for September 18, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
James Mallory, Anthony L. Hogan Jr., and Cannon Pendegrass – 12CR1317 (Murder, Burglary in the First Degree)
- Mr. Mallory (DOB 09/05/82), Mr. Hogan, (DOB 06/16/93), and Mr. Pendegrass (DOB 12/14/89) are charged with the April 11, 2012 Murder of 15 year old Gregory Holt Jr. inside his home. Mr. Mallory’s case has been severed from his two co-defendants and will be tried individually. A hearing for pretrial motions in Mr. Mallory’s case is scheduled for Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin with individual Voir Dire on Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. also in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Dorislee Gilbert and Madison Shoffner are the prosecutors.
Syed Joseph Ali – 16CR2004 (Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [2 counts], Distribution of Obscene Matter to a Minor)
- Mr. Ali (DOB 07/24/1975) is charged with having sexual contact with the victim, and showing her anime pornography. The victim was four years old at the time. A Jury Trial is scheduled for Tuesday, September 18, 2018, at 9:45 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Alicia Gomez is the prosecutor.