OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: July 29 – August 2, 2019
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Travis Kniffley – 17CR3712 (Assault in the First Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree)
- Mr. Kniffley (DOB 03/14/88) was charged with the brutal assault of his former girlfriend on December 4, 2017. On Friday, July 26, 2019, Mr. Kniffley entered a guilty plea to the above charges and agreed to serve a 20 year sentence, the maximum sentence under these charges. He was formally sentenced and sent to serve his sentence in prison. Danielle Yannelli was the prosecutor.
Jack Charping, Sharon Charping, Jennifer Geiling – 19CR2027 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree [Charping and Charping], Reckless Homicide [Geiling])
- Mr. Jack Charping (DOB 02/16/69) and Ms. Sharon Charping (DOB 09/12/65) were indicted for Manslaughter in the Second Degree, and Jennifer Geiling (DOB 01/19/94) was indicted for Reckless Homicide, in relation to the death of 2-year old Isaiah Geiling on May 2, 2019. Isaiah Geiling died after being attacked by the pit bull owned by Jack Charping and Sharon Charping. Arraignment is scheduled to occur on Monday, July 29 at 11:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
William H. Harris AKA “C” & Jaquan C. McWilliams AKA “Gooey”—19CR2071 (Murder [Both], Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [Harris only])
- Mr. “C” Harris (DOB 12/22/80) and Mr. “Gooey” McWilliams (12/10/99) are charged in connection with the July 11, 2019 shooting death of Jermaine Thompson, near 1137 S. 17th Street. McWilliams drove a red dodge charger with Harris as the passenger; McWilliams got out to speak with the victim, and a short time later Harris fires shots at him from inside of the car, then Harris hopped out and followed the victim down the alley, and shot him a couple more times. McWilliams drove away from the scene taking Harris with him. Arraignment is scheduled for Monday, July 29th at 2:00 p.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Critt Cunningham is the prosecutor.
Carter Bergin – 19CR1824 (Kidnapping, Criminal Attempt Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Assault in the Second Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree)
- Mr. Bergin (DOB 07/13/92) is charged along with co-defendant Carter Payne in the kidnapping, assault, and attempted murder of Mr. Frederick Graham. Mr. Bergin’s motion for bond reduction is scheduled to be heard August 2, 2019, at 8:30 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Roger D. Burdette – 19CR0516 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment [4 Counts], Operating Motor Vehicle under the Influence of Intoxicants)
- Mr. Burdette (DOB 06/22/58) is charged with the Christmas Eve Murder of LMPD Detective Deidre Mengedoht while operating an MSD truck while under the influence of intoxicants. Amid the crash, Mr. Burdette also endangered the lives of four other individuals. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 1:00 p.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Tashunka Wakan Wakiyanto Campbell – 19CR1608 (Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree[2 Counts], Terroristic Threatening 2nd Degree, Menacing)
- Mr. Campbell (DOB 03/01/01) is charged in connection with firing firearms in the direction of another and in the air in a residential area on or around April 11, 2019; and making threatening statements about having a gun on school property on or around April 12, 2019. A first Pretrial Conference is scheduled for July 31, 2019 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Michelle Fox is the prosecutor.
Antolin Bustos-Hernandez – 18CR0697 (Sodomy in the First Degree, Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree)
- Mr. Bustos-Hernandez (DOB 08/26/86) is charged with holding his female victim in a hotel room and sexually assaulting her. A jury trial is set to begin Monday, July 29, at 1:00 p.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Corey Taylor is the prosecutor.