OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: February 24-28, 2020
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
James Lee Gore Jr. – 19CR2725 (Trafficking in Heroin with a Firearm, Trafficking in Methamphetamine over 2 Grams with a Firearm, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon (4 Counts), Possession of a Firearm (2 Counts) and Illegal Possession of Drug Paraphernalia)
- On February 21, 2020 Mr. Gore (DOB 09/01/90) entered a guilty plea in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court to the eight felony charges upon which he had previously been indicted. The charges were brought after Gore was found on September 19, 2019 in possession of 2.4 pounds of methamphetamine and 2.5 ounces of heroin with the intent to sell. He also possessed multiple hand guns and rifles, drug paraphernalia, and US Currency. He was sentenced to 20 years to serve and is not eligible for probation or shock probation and must serve 50% of his sentence before being eligible for parole. Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Ebert Haegele is the assigned prosecutor.
William Lee Sloss – 20CR0434 (Murder, Abuse of Corpse, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Sloss (DOB 11/22/85) is charged with the Murder of his girlfriend, Amanda Berry. Her body was ultimately discovered at her last known address which she shared with the defendant inside a storage container. The defendant was arraigned on Monday, February 17, 2020. A first pretrial conference is scheduled for April 13, 2020 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Chris Foster is the prosecutor.
Anthony Martinez – 20CR0482 (Robbery in the First Degree [11 counts])
- Mr. Martinez (DOB 12/12/89) is charged in connection with committing armed robberies at four separate banks from 2015 through 2020. In total, Mr. Martinez has stolen over $350,000 from the four banks. To evade detection, Mr. Martinez used disguises, aliases, fake IDs, and left behind false clues. During the course of the investigation, it was determined that Mr. Martinez was responsible for two additional bank robberies in Indiana as well as a theft from an armored truck in Crestwood, Kentucky. Mr. Martinez was arraigned on these charges on February 20, 2020. A first Pretrial Conference is scheduled for March 26, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.
Charles Washington – 13CR2250 (Robbery in the First Degree, Possession of a handgun by Convicted Felon, Burglary in the First Degree)
- After a jury acquitted Mr. Washington on charges of murder and tampering with physical evidence in March of 2018, Mr. Washington pleaded guilty to and was sentenced to the above charges from an August 2013 incident in which the defendant and three other co-defendants, all of which were armed, unlawfully entered a residence at 6800 Crawford Crossing Plaza Apt. 205. Once inside the perpetrators demanded drugs, money, and phones. One of the victims, PJ Barber was assaulted and attempted to flee the apartment when he was chased down and shot multiple times. The victim died as a result of his injuries on scene. Mr. Washington was sentenced to 10 years. That sentence is to run concurrent with the 20 year sentence under indictment 13CR2321, and the 5 year sentence under 19CR3288 for a total of 20 years. Ebert Haegele is the prosecutor.
Charles Washington – 13CR2321 (Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon (2 Counts) Burglary in the First Degree, Robbery in the First Degree (2 Counts) Assault in the First Degree (2 Counts))
- On August 14, 2013, Charles A. Washington unlawfully entered the residence located at 3045 Springtime A venue, Louisville, KY 40272 by way of the rear entry door. Once inside, Charles Washington produced a handgun and demanded all occupants in the living room/kitchen area to give him their valuables. While still inside and during this robbery, Charles A. Washington fired multiple gunshots at Daniel Peters striking him several times, then he fired multiple gunshots at Phillip Clark, also striking him several times. Charles A. Washington then fled the scene on foot after getting $40 in cash and a wallet from the victims. Mr. Washington was sentenced to a total of 20 years to serve concurrent with 13CR2250 and 19CR3288. Ebert Haegele is the prosecutor.
Charles Washington – 19CR3288 (Jury Tampering (3 counts))
- On March 18th 2018 while on trial for capital murder under indictment 13CR3250 Charles Washington made eight separate attempts to call and contact three potential jurors during the individual voir dire process. Mr. Washington was sentenced to 5 years to serve with the sentences in 13cr2321 and 13cr2250 for a total of 20 years to serve. Ebert Haegele is the prosecutor.
Jaylin Bell – 20CR0484 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Bell (DOB 08/13/95) is charged with the December 6, 2019 shooting death of Kayla Hunter-Purcell. Mr. Bell and the victim were engaged in a verbal altercation when Mr. Bell attempted to grab a handgun from the victim, causing it to discharge and strike the victim. Arraignment is scheduled for February 24, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 1 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Antonio Hazley – 19CR2277 (Robbery in the First Degree, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Hazley (DOB 01/25/97) is charged with the July 10, 2019, assault on Mark Matherly, in a parking lot at 6th and Broadway, right in the heart of downtown Louisville, in furtherance of stealing his car keys, cash, and vehicle. A pretrial conference is scheduled for February 26, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Anthony Wayne Trice – 19CR1384 (Murder, Criminal Abuse in the First Degree)
- Mr. Trice (DOB 06/25/92) is charged with the abuse and Murder of his one month old son on May 5, 2019. A Pretrial Conference is scheduled for February 28, 2020 at 10:45 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Lacorey Scrivener – 19CR2785 (Assault in the First Degree – two counts, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Scrivener (DOB 04/19/97) is charged with the September 27, 2019, shooting of Udario Stephenson, who apparently took too long in the defendant’s estimation while using a Chase Bank ATM near 7th and Hill. He is also charged with the September 28, 2019, shooting of Felicia Simpson as she was attempting to complete a delivery order for Door Dash and may have inadvertently cut the defendant off in traffic. A pretrial conference is scheduled for February 27, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Charles A. Webb – 18CR2097 (Assault in the Second Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Terroristic Threatening in the Third Degree)
- Mr. Webb (DOB 07/18/58) was charged with the May 27, 2018 Assault and strangulation of his wife. On May 15, 2019, Mr. Webb entered a guilty plea to the above charges and was sentenced to 6 years to serve in prison. The defendant has filed a motion for Shock Probation which will be heard on February 28, 2020 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Martice Niance McRae – 17CR3781 (Murder)
- Mr. McRae (DOB 07/11/97) was convicted of the July 25, 2017 Murder of Justin Hague. A Jury Trial began on December 11, 2019 and a Jury convicted Mr. McRae of the Murder, recommending a sentence of 50 years to serve in prison. Final Sentencing is scheduled for February 24, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin and Madison Shoffner are the prosecutors.
Scott Patrick Kennedy – 17CR1429 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Assault in the Second Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree)
- Mr. Kennedy (DOB 10/18/67) is charged with the shooting death of Mr. Michael Bosse that occurred on May 6, 2017. On May 9, 2017, Mr. Kennedy was apprehended on the Lincoln Bridge after leading the police on a high speed chase. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin on February 25, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.